Friday, November 30, 2007

a real quick write on writing

can i say that i really love to write. no...not just fiction but...almost anything. well...mostly anything that causes me to use my brain and my knowledge.

I came home tonight, its a friday, and really needed to start on an essay. People are going out, the text messages are coming in but man...i feel so comfortable and content sitting here, struggling to write this essay as i drink my third cup of tea.

goethe once wrote, "Is one alive when other men are living?"

kundera believes that hidden within this question is the writer's condition. He explains that goethe is convinced that "a single glance of a single human being which fails to fall on lines written by goethe calls into question goethe's very existence."

i love sitting here and writing. but if i am not read, then do i fail to even exist? do i continue this in vain? perhaps...

"...everyone without exception bears a potential writer within him, so that the entire human species has good reason to go down into the streets and shout: "We are all writers!"
For everyone is pained by the thought of disappearing, unheard or unseen, into an indifferent universe and because of that everyone wants, while there is still time, to turn himself into a universe of words.
One morning(and it will be soon), when everyone wakes up as a writer, the age of universal deafness and incomprehension will have arrived." - milan kundera from the book of laughter and forgetting

back to spewing words out into the indifferent universe filled with a sea of ears lost of hearing...
goethe wishes you were in weimar...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes I deleted my blog. It had embarrassing religious things all over it that I didn't have time to individually delete, so I just got rid of it. No more blogging for me - only real, face to face conversations.

Yeah, sitting in and writing sucks. That's why I'm going to go to law school and make a shit load of money and start voting Republican.

Just kidding about the Republican thing. I'm not going to vote at all. I'm going to become really, really careless!

sassafrass said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Sincerity


why do you think i am always screaming?

Nora Dillon said...

Saxon! it makes me so happy to read Kundera references! It makes me so happy that my desire to wag a finger and hum 'i told you sooooo' vanishes.

Writing, for me, conjures varying degrees of emotion: some afternoons, with my pen and paper, scribbling away is a lovely experience, gazing out my window, bounding along in my love affair with language. There are tempestuous evenings of wind and hail, chaos and I awaken to a clear calm vision.

But those all too common early evenings of struggle- of doubt and boredom, tedium and tiredness with one's characters or tale... those dusks when nothing comes and it feels as though nothing ever will... at least nothing of worth, of substance. Ech. Emotional, intellectual, creative sweat and tears... just sitting with yourself, your story...

I find it so hard to go back to the writing life I had established, the routine, the schedule because it has been so long since I really sunk into that finger tapping, scalp scratching, pen chewing struggle with myself, my characters, the limitations of language... of my own ways of knowing and communicating.

sassafrass said...

yeh writing for me is just like throwing up, and thats it.
involuntary and i think so fast its like fucking throwing up on video in fast forward on repeat and usually on the internet so that is why it is on video because it is a media source

sassafrass said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.